Svalbard #4 2013
We invite you to join us on this 9 days photo expedition to Svalbard, specially arranged for nature photographers. WildPhoto Travel will be chartering the entire ship, M/S QUEST, during the period of 15 – 24 SEPTEMBER 2013. See some of our images from previous expeditions.
Our main goal for this photo expedition will be wildlife and landscape. Svalbard is the best place on earth for photographing Polar bears, and we hope to find some of them. The ice situation on this time of year usually allows us to explore the northeastern parts of the archipelago. September is also a great time for watching and photographing big whales, and we have good chances of finding Blue whale, Fin whale, Humpback whale, Mink whale and Beluga. The light condition is great at this time of year, so get ready for some really nice landscape photo opportunities.
This expeditions would be great also for amateur photographers who wants to experience the “Arctic pearl” together with other photographers. If you want an even more specialized photo expeditions with a smaller group (12), you should check out these expeditions: Svalbard 15-25/7 2014, Svalbard 25/7-4/8 2014 and Svalbard 4-14/8 2014.
Svalbard is situated at about 80 degrees north, so we schedule the expedition in accordance with prevailing weather and ice conditions. Our captain is an expert navigator in arctic conditions. He is an important advisor in planning the expedition in a manner that allows us to maximize the photo opportunities and enjoyment of this trip. Also included will be some zodiak cruises (5 zodiacs on board) and excursions going ashore amongst walrus colonies (or walruses on the ice) and other interesting wildlife.
Why travel with us on this Svalbard Photo Expedition
- We have already arranged 12 photo expeditions to Svalbard and we know where to go for the best pictures and experiences.
- One (or two) pro nature photographer(s) will be photo guide(s) on this expedition. You will get inspiring lectures and feedback from our photo guide(s).
- We are chartering the entire ship M/S QUEST, for our exclusive use.
- Other participants on the trip share your interests in the Arctic and nature photography. Good travel companions are important on our expeditions.
- Our guides will ensure a safe and flexible expedition.
- We continually obtain updated info on where to find exciting animal life, etc., so that we can more effectively approach the species and types of nature we wish to photograph.
The expedition ship M/S Quest was built in Denmark in 1992 to serve as a ferry on Greenland`s west coast. In 2004/2005 she was completely refurbished and now has a career as a small and comfortable expedition ship. Quest takes 51 passengers in 26 cabins, all with sea-view and private facilities. The triple cabins on deck three have upper and lower berths. All other cabins have two lower berths or a double bed. In your cabin you also find a desk with chair and storage space for clothes and equipment. The superior cabins on deck three and four are spacious and have a separate sitting area and TV/DVD. The Owner`s cabin, next to the Captain`s cabin, on deck four has a double bed, two large picture windows, a small sitting area and TV/DVD. In the dining room you are treated to delicious meals in between landings and in the panorama lounge you can enjoy a breathtaking view of the surrounding landscape. Here you can listen to entertaining lectures on the area`s flora, fauna and history. In the lounge you also find a well-stocked bar and a small library. The ship has spacious observation decks where you can enjoy the beautiful vistas and search for exciting wildlife. Travelling with this small expedition ship offers a more relaxed and informal atmosphere and a much greater focus on the destination than is the case with larger vessels.
Deck plan and prices
NB: All cabins with private bath/toilets.
Rate includes: Nine nights on board the M/S Quest, all meals, an experienced Expedition Leader and knowledgeable Guides, Photo guides, lectures on board and all shore excursions by Zodiac.
Not included: Flight to/from Longyearbyen, travel and cancellation insurance, the customary gratuity to the ship’s crew, personal expenses such as bar and shop charges.
The ice will determine where we can navigate our ship. Get an updated report of ice conditions (updated almost every day).
Information concerning photography
The price includes
- 9 nights aboard the M/S QUEST, with boarding on 15 SEPTEMBER at 16:00 and disembarking on 24 SEPTEMBER at 09:00
- All meals aboard the vessel
- Expedition leader, photo guide(s), zodiac drivers, guards and other personnel
- Excursions with the Zodiacs
The expedition price does not include
- Overnight accommodation prior to and following the trip aboard the ship
- Personal expenses related to mineral water, alcohol and souvenirs purchased aboard the ship
- Tips (recommended) for the vessel’s crew members
- Travel insurance and cancellation insurance
This post is also available in: Norwegian Bokmål
This entry was posted on Sunday, August 12th, 2012 at 23:21
You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.