Svalbard #1 – 2014
15 – 25 JULY 2014 ALL SPOTS RESERVED
We invite you to join us on this exciting 10 days photo expedition to Svalbard, specially arranged for nature photography enthusiasts. Naturfokus will be chartering the entire ship, M/S ORIGO, during the period of 15 – 25 JULY 2014. This expedition offers many advantages for photographers, when compared to other Svalbard tours.
See the report from the previous 10-day expeditions to Svalbard in 2010 and 2011 HERE.
Why travel with us to Svalbard
- We have been to Svalbard many times so we know where to go to get your best pictures and experiences. A pro nature photographer will be the expedition leader and photo guide.
- We are chartering the entire ship M/S Origo, for our exclusive use, which means that we can best optimize the expeditions for photo enthusiasts.
- This expedition will have only 12 photographers (+ the expedition leader and one guide) distributed amongst 2-3 Zodiacs, which limits 7-8 persons per Zodiac. This is a major advantage considering all of the photo equipment when compared to typical tours involving 13 to 14 persons in each Zodiac. This will enhance our photographic endeavours considerably!
- Other participants on the trip share your interests in arctic and nature photography. Good travel companions are important on our expeditions.
- Our guides will ensure a safe and flexible expedition.
- We can be out in the Zodiacs for longer periods and be more flexible with mealtimes and other “fixed” schedules.
- We can decide to stay in certain areas because of light conditions or photo opportunities, instead of roaming around in search of tourist attractions.
- We continually obtain updated info on where to find exciting animal life, etc., so that we can more effectively approach the species and types of nature we wish to photograph.
- We’ll be circumventing all of the standard “stops”, souvenir shops, rusty ovens and abandoned whaling stations, unless there are requests to visit some of these places.
- All photographers (except 2 shared cabins) will have private cabins for this expedition. This means more space for your luggage and photo gear.
Svalbard is situated at about 80 degrees north, so we schedule the expedition in accordance with prevailing weather and ice conditions. Our captain is an expert navigator in arctic conditions. He is an important advisor in planning the expedition in a manner that allows us maximize the photo opportunities and enjoyment of this trip. Also included will be some excursions going ashore amongst walrus colonies (or walruses on the ice), bird cliffs, and places that are seething with life during this time of year.
The ice will determine where we can navigate our ship. Get an updated report of ice conditions (updated almost every day).
The first day aboard the ship may consist of a transport leg, and it may be advisable to take seasickness medication and taking it easy until your body adjusts to being aboard a ship at sea. The vessel’s crew members speak Swedish and English.
Information concerning photography
The price includes
- 10 nights aboard the M/S Origo, with boarding on 15 JULY at 16:00 and disembarking on 25 JULY at 09:00
- All meals aboard the vessel
- Expedition leader, guide, guards and other personnel
- Excursions with the Zodiacs
The expedition price does not include
- Overnight accommodation prior to and following the trip aboard the ship
- Personal expenses related to mineral water, alcohol and souvenirs purchased aboard the ship
- Tips (recommended) for the vessel’s crew members
- Travel insurance and cancellation insurance
This post is also available in: Norwegian Bokmål
This entry was posted on Monday, August 13th, 2012 at 13:28
You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.